Friday 14 October 2016

The Autumn Layering Trick


As much as I love autumn, it can be a hard season to master sartorially. It can often be freezing in the morning and evening, but somewhat warm or muggy during the day. What's more, one minute it can be beautiful blue skies, the next pouring with rain with gusts of wind. Whatever do you do? Of course, there are larger worldly worries at stake in today's society, but if you're anything like me and often find yourself staring blankly into your wardrobe wondering what to wear on a typically autumnal day, then this may just be your answer. That my friend, is the 90's vest-over-tee look.


I have always been a sucker for 90's fashion so when the trend of wearing a vest/ camisole/ slip dress over your t-shirt revived itself recently, I knew I had to join in.

I'll admit, I hate trends. The word itself even creeps me out and the very idea of wearing something that 1. everyone else is wearing. 2. will only be 'fashionable' for a short amount of time and 3. wearing something just to fit in, I strongly dislike.

That said, I probably would have not worn this look had I not seen my favourite style icons such as Sarah Harris of Vogue or Alexa Chung sporting it themselves. It's an incredibly cool and stylish look that even though it is 'trendy' now, I know I will continue to wear season after season.





Yet, my main argument here is that this is a great layering trick for autumn. The garments are lightweight and breathable so that you can keep cool if the temperature rises during the afternoon, while the fact of wearing two tops will make sure you don't feel chilly when it's cooler.

There are many alterations and versions of this look. I opted for the classic cami-tshirt pairing, completing the look with a beautiful Zara navy drape coat, high-waisted Topshop jeans and classic black loafers.

A slip dress is also another favourite worn by many over a t-shirt, turtleneck or thin knitted jumper.




We took these photographs down the most beautiful street in Hammersmith, rather fortunately a stone's throw away from my university, called Wingate Road. The candy-coloured townhouses possessed by the rich and famous appeared as if they were pulled out of a child's storybook. Each home boasted an abundance of character - I would love to live in a property like one of these someday!

I am wearing:
T-shirt - Zara
Cami - New Look
Jeans - Topshop
Bag - Accessorize
Shoes - Office
Watch - Michael Kors

What decade do you most favour sartorially speaking?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I try to reply to all of them so be sure to come back to see! :)

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig